Friday, March 8, 2013
A little reminder
Since I'm on vacation this week (and also because it's never a bad time to remind myself why I'm doing all this), I decided to re-post my first blog post about my 30 for 30 endeavor. Enjoy:
"On Jan. 19, I turned 30.
What? 30? Yes, 30. Do I care? A little bit. I am taking advantage of this momentous occasion to start a fundraising campaign that is very close to my heart.
In 2012, I joined a wonderful group called DetermiNation. We run to raise money for the American Cancer Society with the hope of providing resources to individuals and families who have seen the negative impact cancer can have on one's life.
ACS aims to attack cancer from all angles, whether through promotion of healthy living and cancer prevention education or support for those already affected. Some of the programs these fundraising dollars go toward include free wigs for cancer patients, rides to the hospital, or even just a friendly ear for someone who needs to talk about what they're going through.
Now, let me tell you, when I was 20, the thought of running a mile was probably the farthest thing from my mind. I was more concerned with makeup, college and roller blades than I was with anything that would make me put my two feet to the pavement with nothing but a pair of shoes to move me along.
Ten years later, running is a big part of my life. I owe it to many people. Over the course of this campaign, you will meet those people and learn about the impact they had on my life.
So, what's 30 for 30, you ask? On Monday, I registered for the Naperville Marathon (more details about this race's significance to come). Between now and race day, which is Sunday, Nov. 10, I plan to gather 30 donations of $100 to benefit the programs of the American Cancer Society for a total of $3,000.
I will only run one marathon in my life (Sorry Jeff Volin, that's a fact, Jack) and I want to make it momentous.
Interested in helping me mark this milestone? Click here to learn more about how you can help. If you're interested in donating now, search my name "Lesley Valadez."
Don't have $100? No worries. I'll take any donation. Every little bit counts."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment