For one reason or another, I've been spending a lot of time in the car lately. One day, while driving home from work, I remembered a story my grandma and grandpa would tell me and my cousins about when they were younger.
Some of the roads in the dessert are windy and when they were young, there were no seat belts or bucket seats. If someone turned a corner on leather seats, sometimes, people would slide into each other - and not always by accident!
They called this "opportunity corner" because it gave the boys a chance to slide over and get close to their girls without suspicion. Or so they thought. My grandma and Auntie Annie told me they knew all about it and didn't mind at all.
My grandparents lived in a different time. They'd seen many things change and they went with the flow for the most part. Even when I showed up at my grandparents house with a tongue ring, they went with the flow. They didn't like it, but it wasn't the worst thing I could have done in their eyes. Well, at least that's how they made it seem.
Even though they are gone now, and it hurts to think about, their life together was long and fruitful. They experienced so many things and filled their lives with much happiness. After my grandma died, it took a while, but my grandpa was able to find happiness with Emily, who has been an important part of my adult life, too. I was glad he found a companion to spend his time with. He missed my grandma deeply.
While I'd love to have a chance to pick up the phone and talk to my grandparents again, it gives me comfort to know that when cancer took them, they were surrounded by people who value the legacy they created. Stories like "opportunity corner" remind me not to take life too seriously and to take advantage of every opportunity - even if it's a little naughty. Haha.
Click here to join me in the fight against cancer by making a donation in memory of your loved one.
No comments:
Post a Comment