The answer is pretty simple - I race for the finish.
There is something wonderful about the feeling that you've just accomplished something you, for a brief moment, didn't think you could. Or really REALLY didn't want to, as is generally the case for me when it comes to training.
That was the case on Sunday when I was faced with a 12-mile long run. BY MYSELF.
My work and life schedule has gotten in the way of doing my long runs with the CARA marathon group this month so I've been doing it solo ... kind of. I missed two long runs, which is bad ... real bad. Then I kind of slacked on my short runs, which made me mad ... real mad.
Before I dug myself into a hole from which I could not escape, I needed to get my shit together and run.
(For those of you who might have noticed those lyrics sprinkled in, I have Kanye West stuck in my head.)
Anyway, long story short, I've been a slacker and now, time is of the essence. There is no 30-day challenge, no magical potion that will make me suddenly able to run 26.2 miles. This is the long haul and I'm in it.
So, I laced up my shoes Sunday and headed out the door. I learned that undoubtedly, I need a mile to really get going. Here's how that first mile generally goes:
"Don't look at the watch, just run."
Look at the watch.
"Crap, it's only been half a mile. Why did you look?"
"It's hot/cold outside. Maybe I should just run tomorrow."
"No, you're already out, at least run three miles. Don't waste this."
Three miles comes around.
"WOOO! I. Am. Ironman ... la la la la la ... something can."
"Hey! Check out the Frank Lloyd Wright homes!" (My route went through Oak Park this time)
Then follows about a 3-mile surge of energy and motivation, followed by more voices the moment any kind of pain enters the picture.
"My knee hurts. I've done half the distance. I should quit early."
"You don't need to quit early. Your knee is hurting because you're running on the sidewalk. Get on the street."
Move to the street.
"Oh GOD. I'm gonna get hit by a car."
"Hey! I'm already at 8 miles!"
Those last 4 miles went by quickly, though uncomfortably, as my knee continued to irritate me.
I wobbled up the stairs, through my front door and directly onto my roller. Ahhhhh ... relief.
My dull knee pain continued and the stairs in my house didn't help. I'm swapping my shortest run today with an extra rest day just to be safe.
Why our program jumped from 7 miles last week to 12 miles this week, I won't fully understand. But, at least I can say I did it.
I ran 12 miles with nobody to motivate me but me. This is the satisfaction most people who run crave.
My satisfaction is a little bit more than that. Every step is in honor of a loved one who has battled cancer.
Every step is a pledge that I will honor them and the loved ones of my donors through my personal challenge of running a marathon.
I've dedicated myself to raise $3,000 in the fight against cancer with the American Cancer Society's DetermiNation team. My team, The First Responders, has set a goal of $50,000 to honor our loved ones affected by cancer, as well as pay tribute to a friend who lost his life in the West, Texas explosion. Any donation you make to my campaign will contribute to this overall goal.
Click here to make a donation today.
No comments:
Post a Comment