| My dad and nephew, Julian, when Julian was just a little one. Best grandpa ever! |
In 2012, I joined a wonderful group called DetermiNation. We run to raise money for the American Cancer Society with the hope of providing resources to individuals and families who have seen the negative impact cancer can have on one's life.
ACS aims to attack cancer from all angles, whether through promotion of healthy living and cancer prevention education or support for those already affected. Some of the programs these fundraising dollars go toward include free wigs for cancer patients, rides to the hospital, or even just a friendly ear for someone who needs to talk about what they're going through.
Now, let me tell you, when I was 20, the thought of running a mile was probably the farthest thing from my mind. I was more concerned with makeup, college and roller blades than I was with anything that would make me put my two feet to the pavement with nothing but a pair of shoes to move me along.
Now, I have three half marathons and a marathon under my belt. And countless fun runs, 5k races, 10-milers ... the list goes on. And I love it!
One of the biggest motivators is I run to honor my loved ones and the loved ones of my friends.
Cancer has been at the epicenter of pain for my family. Both my grandmothers died from breast cancer, my grandfather died from liver cancer, my uncle is currently battling a second bout of brain cancer from exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam, we have cancer survivors of many kinds and the most important man in my life, my father, is a cancer survivor.
Without the research that's taken place over the past 100 years, I could have lost my dad. And even though my life has significantly changed as a result of loss to cancer, I can't imagine how my life would be without him.
So this year, I'm running the Chicago Marathon for him. To honor his fight - and his big win. My dad has been a source of strength my entire life. And running to honor him will carry me across that finish line in October.
Please, help me make an impact. Make a donation today and help save lives. Today, two out of three people survives cancer. Only research and support can turn that number into three out of three survivors.
The American Cancer Society is dedicated to making that a reality. And that's why I support it.

No comments:
Post a Comment