On Sunday, I ran the Race That's Good For Life in Oak Park.
So, why am I just writing about it now? I got busy. It happens.
Anyway, it was fantastic. Since it's less than five miles from my house, I didn't have to get up super early. I was well-rested, but I was hungry and I didn't give myself time to make my usual egg.
Running hungry sucks.
Running outside heightens my senses. When I used to run in the evening while I lived in Naperville, I would take a path that went behind people's really beautiful yards. Work made it so I'd have to run when people were making dinner.
I smelled it all.
And I wanted to eat it.
I felt like a food vampire who probably should have eaten an hour ago and there's glorious food all around but I can't have any.
On the bright side, I developed a deep appreciation for good ¿˘ÆÆÆÆÆÆÚW (That was my future running partner walking across the keyboard.) Ahem. I developed a deep appreciation for good food.
I also learned I COULD run hungry. Sometimes life interrupts our plans and it's always good to know if I mis-planned my day, I can still get a short run in and just be slightly more uncomfortable.
So, when the race came to an end, I saw on the race clock that I was under 30 minutes. I decided I wanted to be under 29:30 so I picked up the pace and booked it to the finish line.
Official time: 29:15.9
Cool. A PR. But not my goal. That is to run a 27-minute 5k.
Oh, and of course run a marathon.
Every step I take (Flashback "Every Little Step I Take") this year is to accomplish the biggest goal of them all - raising money for the fight against cancer.
It's touched nearly every one's lives at one time or another and it's time to finish the fight.
Click here to support my campaign.
No comments:
Post a Comment