On Monday, some jackass decided it would be a good idea to hurt people. Sorry about the language, but that's how I feel in the most basic terms.
When the bombs went off at the Boston Marathon, I was in a meeting. When I got out of the meeting, I got a call from my brother who told me there was an explosion at the finish line in Boston.
I've covered tragic news before and watched while horrific events unraveled, but this week, something felt different. I got phone calls and messages from friends and family. I worried about the people I knew were running in Boston. Initially, I couldn't understand why someone would choose such an event to express whatever discontent they had with the world.
Marathons are an inspirational challenge. Watching thousands of runners try to accomplish their greatest feat gives spectators the warm and fuzzies. Runners and non-runners alike know the blood, sweat and tears that go with running a marathon and they know the finish, most of the time, is glorious. They also know Boston is the Holy Grail, run by only those who qualify - the race that makes someone a "serious runner."
When I thought about what took place a little more, though, it made total sense. The finish line of a marathon is a place of incredible excitement, a place of impossible joy and pain all mixed into one. And this is coming from the spectator perspective. I haven't run one yet, but I've seen it and the feeling is hard to describe.
When I thought more about that feeling, I could see why someone would choose that event. Some person, completely unhappy with their life, wanted to take the joy away from others. This person accomplished that on a massive scale.
But it didn't last long.
Almost as soon as the blast went off, people ran toward the scene to help. Runners who had just exhausted every muscle and bone in their body found the strength in them to assist those in need. Spectators and race personnel went into immediate action.
The bomber did not win.
Why? Because our spirit wasn't crushed. Goodness prevailed in the end and the lives lost will not be forgotten.
You see, the bomber picked a unique group of people to target. The bomber picked athletes. Athletes are resilient and runners are a special breed of athlete. The vast majority of us are not competitive to the detriment of another runner (I can't say "all" because I don't actually know there's not an uber-competitive runner out there who would trip someone on the way to the finish line). We are supportive, we are helpful and our sport is unlike any other.
I realized after family and friends reached out to me afterwards that I really am a part of that group of people. I am a runner and my heart hurt for my fellow athletes on Monday.
To the bomber: we will find you, you will pay and we will keep on running. We are Boston and we run united.
No comments:
Post a Comment