Monday, February 11, 2013

How your donations help

I was going to write about my grandma today, but I'm still trying to track down a picture. It's not so easy to locate things that were taken before technology took over the world.

Fortunately, I still have plenty to write about. Thanks to the support of my friends and family, I am already $725 into my $3,000 fundraising goal (and it's not even the end of February!).

To put that into perspective, I have some numbers for you to think about:

$75 gives three cancer patients a ride to their medical treatments.

$300 provides seven recently-diagnosed patients the support they need through the Patient Navigator Program.

With the money raised so far, we can give almost 30 people rides.

With the $3,000 goal, we can enroll 1,000 people in the Patient Navigator Program.

But that's not all. Support and treatment are only half the battle. Prevention is also key and we've come a very long way in identifying risk factors that can be mitigated by lifestyle changes.

The American Cancer Society has programs like Healthy for Life, which aims to get kids and tweens active with events like Relay Recess and Relay Field Day that teach them healthy habits and get them moving.

In fact, the American Cancer Society will provide $360,000 in Illinois grants this year for programs that combat obesity in youth.

Click here to join me in the fight today.

No comments:

Post a Comment