Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Take care of your skin

In mammals, the biggest organ is the epidermis. Or, as most of us know it - our skin. It's exposed to everything. While our skin protects our muscles, bones, nervous system and internal organs, it's up to us to protect our skin.

Why?

Because more than 2 million cases of basal and squamous cell skin cancer are found each year. Melanoma is the most serious type of skin cancer. It is estimated that melanoma accounted for 75,000 new cases of skin cancer in 2012.

Skin cancer is easy to overlook. It can present itself with something as simple as a new mole or odd-looking freckle.

I grew up in California, where it's part of the lifestyle to lay out in the sun, have a rockin' glowing complexion and enjoy outdoor activities on the regular. I've had a membership to a tanning club and often exposed my skin to harmful rays in the name of beauty.

But what is beauty now if it can destroy me later?

I learned over time that I'm beautiful without a tan. Plus, there are plenty of other options like self tanners and spray tans if you yearn for that beachy glow.

I still enjoy a lifestyle outdoors, but I protect myself better with sunscreen. Runners should take particular note because we run outside. Remember, before you put on your clothes and lace up your shoes, you need to put on sunscreen. The risk of skin cancer in individuals who participate in outdoor sports is higher.

My uncle, Steve Grooms.
There are many people who overcome skin cancer. Fortunately, it's one of cancer's more treatable forms.

One of those survivors is my Uncle Steve. Yes, I ripped this picture off his Facebook page. Sorry, Uncle Steve, that's what happens when you have a journalist for a niece.

He is a loving father, grandfather and uncle. He takes care of his four children: Maggie, Nick, Allie and Demi. What a loss it would have been to our family had he not been vigilant and discovered his skin cancer in time to successfully remove it from his body.

It's very important to stay on top of checking your body for irregularities. If you see a mole that looks awry, get it checked out.

My uncle did and he survived because of his vigilance. When I run the Naperville Marathon in November, his name will be on a ribbon in honor of his successful fight.

Click here for more information about how to support my effort to raise $3,000 for the American Cancer Society in celebration of my 30th birthday and run in memory and in honor of those who have fought the good fight.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lesley,
    I just found you through your posting on the DNation Facebook page. I'm on the NW Committee!! I love all the documentation you're doing on this blog. I'm so excited to see you're SO far ahead in your fundraising. I just wanted to give you a "hello!" and a "hey!!". Keep up the amazing work!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's been very inspiring to me to see how supportive my friends and family have been, and so quickly. The amount of posts has calmed down a bit, but I hope to get back to three a week next week. Perhaps soon we'll meet in person :)

    ReplyDelete